From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 07:26:06
1 >>>>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > The end date (which is the one that matters the most) is only
4 > updated when the file is changed. Legally somebody could use an
5 > earlier version of the file when its copyright expired, but they
6 > could only use the latest version when its later copyright expires.
7
8 > I do tend to agree that we should probably make the start date in
9 > each file depend on when that file was created, but I'm not sure
10 > that legally the start date really matters as much.
11
12 I disagree. Most of the time, the creation time of an ebuild is
13 meaningless, because they are usually copied from an earlier version
14 of the same package. And I guess that even most ebuilds for new
15 packages aren't written from scratch, but will be based on an existing
16 ebuild or on some template like skel.ebuild.
17
18 Because of this I also doubt if we could accurately trace authorship
19 of individual ebuilds. Maybe adding an AUTHORS files for the whole
20 tree would make more sense.
21
22 Ulrich