From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:48:23
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
3 > <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:34:14 -0700
6 >> Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
7 >> > In order to contribute to GNU projects, one must sign a copyright
8 >> > assignment statement.
9 >> >
10 >> > Gentoo doesn't have anything similar as far as I'm aware, which makes
11 >> > me question the legitimacy of "Gentoo Foundation" copyrights.
14 > That style makes no sense to begin with. Something is copyrighted as of the
15 > date it is created (whether originally or as an updated edited work), from
16 > that date until X years in the future depending on what country you're in.
17 > At worst, that range implies "This file was created in 1999 but in 20xx
18 > we're making it public domain". Assuming Gentoo still exists in 200 years
19 > and a certain mouse doesn't extend copyright durations again, a header that
20 > says "1999-2216" would be quite invalid. Just use the single year as of the
21 > date of editing. See http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html.
22
23 The end date (which is the one that matters the most) is only updated
24 when the file is changed. Legally somebody could use an earlier
25 version of the file when its copyright expired, but they could only
26 use the latest version when its later copyright expires.
27
28 I do tend to agree that we should probably make the start date in each
29 file depend on when that file was created, but I'm not sure that
30 legally the start date really matters as much.
31
32 You'll see plenty of ebuilds in the tree with pre-2016 copyright end
33 dates. Repoman will issue a warning if they're modified to warn devs
34 to update the date, which is completely appropriate legally (setting
35 aside the issue of who owns the copyright).
38 Rich