From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:32:59
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Ciaran McCreesh <
2 ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:34:14 -0700
5 > Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
6 > > In order to contribute to GNU projects, one must sign a copyright
7 > > assignment statement.
8 > >
9 > > Gentoo doesn't have anything similar as far as I'm aware, which makes
10 > > me question the legitimacy of "Gentoo Foundation" copyrights.
13 That style makes no sense to begin with. Something is copyrighted as of the
14 date it is created (whether originally or as an updated edited work), from
15 that date until X years in the future depending on what country you're in.
16 At worst, that range implies "This file was created in 1999 but in 20xx
17 we're making it public domain". Assuming Gentoo still exists in 200 years
18 and a certain mouse doesn't extend copyright durations again, a header that
19 says "1999-2216" would be quite invalid. Just use the single year as of the
20 date of editing. See http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html.