From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:56:54
1 Lance Albertson wrote: [Fri Nov 18 2005, 05:46:47PM CST]
2 > Anyways, I don't see any problem with us giving them straight up
3 > foo@g.o aliases. They won't have shell access, nor cvs so we
4 > don't have to worry about that. This makes it very simple for us infra
5 > folks to manage. I can only imagine the hell we'll create when someone
6 > moves from staff.g.o to tester.g.o to g.o. I will not support any GLEP
7 > that proposes any nonsense like that since its totally not needed. Yes,
8 > I could have spoken up about this sooner, but I can't keep track of
9 > every thread on -dev.
10
11 I believe that the issue was that @g.o addresses generally denote a dev,
12 and that giving such addresses to people who are not devs could cause
13 confusion. For example, suppose we have a user who specializes in a
14 particular imap server. If there were an urgent security issue, such a
15 user might get a request to stable the package despite the fact that the
16 person isn't a dev, which wouldn't serve anybody.
17
18 A simpler method would be to ditch the idea of handing out e-mail
19 addresses to users, no matter how much work they do for us, but that
20 idea wasn't much more popular than any of the others. *Shrug*
21
22 > I'm very disappointed that the council did not wait on the vote for this
23 > considering the sudden submission of the revision of the GLEP. I'm
24 > curious the reasoning for going ahead with this?
25
26 Have you read the log? It's fairly clear why they did it; they were
27 being nice, because although I always intended the GLEP process to be
28 iterative, with plenty of time for comments, I never put it in writing..
29 I personally think that it would have been better to hold off until next
30 month, but it was a judgement call, and I don't think it was wholly
31 unreasonable. The Council did go out of their way to emphasize that
32 there should not be a repeat of this event.
33
34 -g2boojum-
35 --
36 Grant Goodyear
37 Gentoo Developer
38 g2boojum@g.o
39 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
40 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76