From: "Luis F. Araujo" <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:22:12
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 >Lance Albertson wrote: [Fri Nov 18 2005, 05:46:47PM CST]
6 >>Anyways, I don't see any problem with us giving them straight up
7 >>foo@g.o aliases. They won't have shell access, nor cvs so we
8 >>don't have to worry about that. This makes it very simple for us infra
9 >>folks to manage. I can only imagine the hell we'll create when someone
10 >>moves from staff.g.o to tester.g.o to g.o. I will not support any GLEP
11 >>that proposes any nonsense like that since its totally not needed. Yes,
12 >>I could have spoken up about this sooner, but I can't keep track of
13 >>every thread on -dev.
17 >I believe that the issue was that @g.o addresses generally denote a dev,
18 >and that giving such addresses to people who are not devs could cause
19 >confusion. For example, suppose we have a user who specializes in a
20 >particular imap server. If there were an urgent security issue, such a
21 >user might get a request to stable the package despite the fact that the
22 >person isn't a dev, which wouldn't serve anybody.
26 That confusion might happen even with packages maintainers devs.
27
28 That's why you need to check the herd before sending such a request.
29
30 You might claim that you also could check for his subdomains address ,
31 but here
32 we get to the same point of, What is the advantage of a subdomain
33 distinction?,
34 in other hand i believe other people will have more technical confusion
35 (ping infra).
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list