From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Can we stop wasting time and bandwidth? (was: The fallacies of GLEP55)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 21:13:52
1 On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Because the way Gentoo works, any objection to a proposal, valid or not,
4 > whether or not it's already been addressed, has to be answered before a
5 > proposal gets anywhere. Thus, every time people post nonsense about
6 > GLEP 55, every post has to be answered or the Council goes "there are
7 > unanswered objection, so we'll postpone it".
8
9 As usual you are extrapolating, but you're at least partly right.
10
11 If the author had documented these objections and the answers in the
12 glep then it would have made it possible to avoid most of what you
13 call the nonsense. Anything buried on the lists, especially in such
14 threads as those discussing this glep, can't even remotely be
15 considered documented or addressed. The answers need to explain
16 everything, even what seems obvious or stupid, in a way that all devs
17 can understand. There is an attempt at doing this in the glep but it's
18 long on asserting and short on explaining, and does not cover it all
19 by far. As it is today the glep is a good draft but definitely not
20 voting material, which is certainly one of the reasons why voting it
21 is taking so long.
22
23 Piotr, the author, is currently away and has been mostly inactive for
24 more than a year now. I just talked to him on irc and reminded him
25 that as per glep 1 "the GLEP author is responsible for building
26 consensus within the community and documenting dissenting opinions".
27 Which he is clearly not doing, at least anymore. Whatever the reasons
28 of his inactivity, the glep should be currently considered without a
29 champion and its ownership should be transferred as stipulated in glep
30 1.
31
32 Thus, I'm asking council to transfer the ownership of this glep, as
33 well as glep 54, and restrain from voting on them until the dissenting
34 opinions have been properly documented in each of them. Any new
35 champion will be fine with me, but I'm proposing, if you agree, that
36 you become the new champion as glep 1 doesn't require the champion to
37 be a developer. I do not doubt that the practical issues due to you
38 not being a developer will be worked around.
39
40 Denis.