From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Can we stop wasting time and bandwidth? (was: The fallacies of GLEP55)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:19:32
1 On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:28:57 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 > Why do we let utterly *useless* discussions eat into our precious
4 > developer time?
5 >
6 > Why is it that this thread has 500 replies
7
8 Because the way Gentoo works, any objection to a proposal, valid or not,
9 whether or not it's already been addressed, has to be answered before a
10 proposal gets anywhere. Thus, every time people post nonsense about
11 GLEP 55, every post has to be answered or the Council goes "there are
12 unanswered objection, so we'll postpone it".
13
14 > but Mart's maintainer-wanted thread has less than 10?
15
16 Because most people either don't care or don't see it leading to
17 anything useful.
18
19 > I *do not care* if the ebuild format will not be "properly extensible"
20 > when the need arises. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
21
22 People are already using hacks in the tree to get per package eclasses.
23 This is something that should be in EAPI, but can't be.
24
25 > Let's not blatantly ignore our REAL problems. We can no longer afford
26 > to maintain the status-quo of pedantic masturbatory discussions on the
27 > finer points of ebuild formats. We cannot AFFORD to look the other way
28 > while the distro rots away.
29
30 Part of the reason the distro is rotting away is that isn't delivering
31 anything new. I'll remind you that EAPIs 2 and 3 fix several extremely
32 major user complaints.
35 Ciaran McCreesh