From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2009 Council Elections
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 03:56:34
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
5 >> <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 01:20:09 +0530
8 >>> Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>> Allowing him to proxy in a council meeting is both disallowed
11 >>>> (non-gentoo devs cannot be on the council)
12 >>>>
13 >>> Please point to the rule that says that a non-developer cannot be on
14 >>> the Council, and please point to the rule that says that a Council
15 >>> member cannot appoint a non-developer as their proxy. I see no mention
16 >>> of either in GLEP 39, which only restricts voting of Council members to
17 >>> developers, and only restricts proxies to not having one person with
18 >>> multiple votes.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >> Oh so you'll argue semantics now? The spirit of the rule is
22 >> excessively clear. No non-gentoo-developer can be a member of council
23 >> -- permanent, temporary, or proxy.
24 >>
25 >> If a council member can't find a gentoo developer to be their proxy,
26 >> that says a lot about the council member.
27 >>
28 >> In any case, discussing this with you is completely m00t given my past
29 >> experiences with discussions with you.
32 >> --
33 >> ~Nirbheek Chauhan
37 > Actually, please read GLEP 39 and you will see that it doesn't restrict
38 > council members to developers only. Basically under the current rules I
39 > think it's technically right to be proxied by anyone. If you don't think
40 > being proxied by non developers is wise, don't vote for those council
41 > members next time. If we want to restrict the council to developers
42 > only, we should think about modifying GLEP 39 (which should be done via
43 > a vote among developers as that's they way 39 was agreed upon).
44 >
45 > Regards,
46 > Petteri
49 I move that we elect George W Bush and Ciaran McCreesh Council Members
50 For Life.
51 Are these people serious?
52
53 Andrew