From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP RFC: Third-party contributions
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 11:07:28
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Please review the following draft:
4 >
5 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:TPC
8 Regarding this paragraph: "Gentoo project provides a specific set of
9 official channels of contribution in which all project members are
10 required to participate. The exact list of these channels is outside
11 the scope of this specification."
12
13 i'm not actually certain that the first sentence is true. I think the
14 only "official channel" of any kind that project members are required
15 to participate in is gentoo-dev-announce, and maybe gentoo-core. I
16 don't think devs are actually required to either file or look at or
17 resolve bugs, for example. Obviously it is encouraged.
18
19 I'd suggest just rewording this section to something like:
20 "Contributions can be accepted via any channel (whether official or
21 unofficial), as long as there is at least one project member willing
22 to support the particular channel and either commit or proxy the
23 contributions appropriately."
24
25 I think this reflects reality. You can submit all the patches you
26 want via bugzilla but it isn't like we punish developers for not
27 getting around to accepting them, unless they're completely inactive
28 Gentoo-wide.
29
30 I do think the copyright issues belong in their own policy for the most part.
31
32 Part of me wonders if this really needs to be a GLEP (a mostly
33 inward-facing policy document) when it mostly documents existing
34 practices and policies. Maybe what is needed is a more outward-facing
35 document, or some workflow documents? The motivation states "Multiple
36 developers have noted various suggestions on Gentoo git workflow but
37 it never became an official policy," but I don't see any kind of
38 workflow really being solidified here either.
39
40 I guess my question on that front is what is the actual gap today, and
41 does this GLEP close it, and if not, is there either a better way, or
42 can we make the GLEP stronger to actually close the gap? Just because
43 a workflow is optional doesn't mean that we can't standardize how it
44 is done.
47 Rich