From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP RFC: Third-party contributions
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:13:34
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:07:20 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Please review the following draft:
7 > >
8 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:TPC
11 > Regarding this paragraph: "Gentoo project provides a specific set of
12 > official channels of contribution in which all project members are
13 > required to participate. The exact list of these channels is outside
14 > the scope of this specification."
15 >
16 > i'm not actually certain that the first sentence is true. I think the
17 > only "official channel" of any kind that project members are required
18 > to participate in is gentoo-dev-announce, and maybe gentoo-core. I
19 > don't think devs are actually required to either file or look at or
20 > resolve bugs, for example. Obviously it is encouraged.
21 >
22 > I'd suggest just rewording this section to something like:
23 > "Contributions can be accepted via any channel (whether official or
24 > unofficial), as long as there is at least one project member willing
25 > to support the particular channel and either commit or proxy the
26 > contributions appropriately."
27 >
28 > I think this reflects reality. You can submit all the patches you
29 > want via bugzilla but it isn't like we punish developers for not
30 > getting around to accepting them, unless they're completely inactive
31 > Gentoo-wide.
32
33 I disagree here. I dare say that Bugzilla is obligatory for all
34 developers (they get an account there during recruitment, after all).
35 I agree they aren't required to accept patches but if a developer
36 outright ignores all attempts of communication, you know what needs to
37 be done.
38
39 > I do think the copyright issues belong in their own policy for the most part.
40 >
41 > Part of me wonders if this really needs to be a GLEP (a mostly
42 > inward-facing policy document) when it mostly documents existing
43 > practices and policies. Maybe what is needed is a more outward-facing
44 > document, or some workflow documents? The motivation states "Multiple
45 > developers have noted various suggestions on Gentoo git workflow but
46 > it never became an official policy," but I don't see any kind of
47 > workflow really being solidified here either.
48 >
49 > I guess my question on that front is what is the actual gap today, and
50 > does this GLEP close it, and if not, is there either a better way, or
51 > can we make the GLEP stronger to actually close the gap? Just because
52 > a workflow is optional doesn't mean that we can't standardize how it
53 > is done.
54
55 To be honest, after writing it all down, I started to get the feeling
56 it isn't necessary after all. The initial idea (and what motivation was
57 supposed to mean) was that all previous attempts failed because they
58 either tried to be too specific, force too many style rules or just
59 never got necessary 'global' to reach all affected parties.
60
61 I'd dare say this GLEP ended up confirming 'third party contributions'
62 are not that special, we don't need special teams to handle them or
63 special rules to cover them.
64
65 So yes, it would probably be enough to put such a simple statement
66 somewhere. The problem is: where? ;-) GLEP seemed like a
67 straightforward solution to make it global.
70 Best regards,
71 Michał Górny
72 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>