From: Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing SLOTs
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:59:34
1 * On Jun 27, 2002, Jani Monoses <jani@××.ro> said:
2 > After looking at why emerge clean wouldn't get rid of older hdparm and openssh I found that
3 > the ebuilds for the old versions didn't have a SLOT so portage assumes nothing != 0 and
4 > keeps both versions.
5 > But aren't all ebuilds supposed to have SLOT defined?
6 > Maybe temporarily until all such cases are fixed emerge could presume missing slot means 0?
7
8 Generally speaking, it is better to assume too little than too much.
9 Let's say that there is a library that you want to keep around without a
10 slot and one of the same name at slot 0 (hypothetically, because I can't
11 come up with an actual instance of this). Each and every time you try
12 to clean your packages, it annoyingly uninstalls the unslotted package.
13 On the other hand, you notice that one package didn't get uninstalled
14 that you think should have been. You go ahead and uninstall the package
15 and never hear from it again. That's why the current model is safer, at
16 the cost of a single minor annoyance as opposed to repeated annoyance.
17
18 But I do agree that all packages should be slotted and, if I'm not
19 mistaken, they'll all have slots eventually. It's just a matter of
20 waiting it out.
23 /*
24 * Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net,rphan@××××.com>
25 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
26 * Neurogen Corporation
27 * (203)488-8201 x4645
28 *
29 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
30 * http://www.endlessrecursion.net/
31 */