From: Mark Gilbert <webmaster@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing SLOTs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:14:24
1 Eh, problem with hdparm is that 5.2 is being merged in /usr/sbin while
2 4.9 sits in /sbin.
3
4 -MG
5
6 On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 21:11, Bob Phan wrote:
7 > * On Jun 27, 2002, Jani Monoses <jani@××.ro> said:
8 > > After looking at why emerge clean wouldn't get rid of older hdparm and openssh I found that
9 > > the ebuilds for the old versions didn't have a SLOT so portage assumes nothing != 0 and
10 > > keeps both versions.
11 > > But aren't all ebuilds supposed to have SLOT defined?
12 > > Maybe temporarily until all such cases are fixed emerge could presume missing slot means 0?
13 >
14 > Generally speaking, it is better to assume too little than too much.
15 > Let's say that there is a library that you want to keep around without a
16 > slot and one of the same name at slot 0 (hypothetically, because I can't
17 > come up with an actual instance of this). Each and every time you try
18 > to clean your packages, it annoyingly uninstalls the unslotted package.
19 > On the other hand, you notice that one package didn't get uninstalled
20 > that you think should have been. You go ahead and uninstall the package
21 > and never hear from it again. That's why the current model is safer, at
22 > the cost of a single minor annoyance as opposed to repeated annoyance.
23 >
24 > But I do agree that all packages should be slotted and, if I'm not
25 > mistaken, they'll all have slots eventually. It's just a matter of
26 > waiting it out.
27 >
28 > --
29 > /*
30 > * Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net,rphan@××××.com>
31 > * Computational Chemistry Informatics
32 > * Neurogen Corporation
33 > * (203)488-8201 x4645
34 > *
35 > * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
36 > * http://www.endlessrecursion.net/
37 > */
39 > gentoo-dev mailing list
40 > gentoo-dev@g.o