From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] DIGESTS metadata variable for cache validation
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:55:33
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Brian Harring wrote:
5 > On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:55:41AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
6 >> All that I can say right now is that I recall questions about it in
7 >> the past from overlay maintainers (I don't have a list) and the
8 >> funtoo project is the only one which I can name offhand.
9 >>
10 >> However, the ability to distribute cache via a vcs is only an
11 >> ancillary feature which is made possible by the DIGESTS data. The
12 >> DIGESTS data is useful regardless of the protocol that is used to
13 >> distribute the cache, since it allows the cache to be properly
14 >> validated for integrity. So, the real primary reason for introducing
15 >> the DIGESTS data is to provide a proper solution for cases like bug
16 >> #139134 [1] in which invalid metadata cache goes undetected.
17 >
18 > I'm sorry, but this proposal smells something awful. Because of the
19 > mtime requirement on cache entries you're proposing jamming another
20 > 1.4MB into the cache for validation purposes (which should be 4x that
21 > since a full checksum really should be in there) while trying to
22 > maintain compatibility.
23
24 As I've said before [1], 10 hex digits gives 1.1e12 possible
25 combinations and that's probably sufficient for the given application.
26
27 > Frankly, forget compatibility- the current format could stand to die.
28 > The repository format is an ever growing mess- leave it as is and
29 > work on cutting over to something sane.
30
31 Changing the repository layout is a pretty radical thing to do.
32 You're welcome to start a new subject for that if you'd like but I'd
33 prefer to keep the scope of this thread focussed on the cache format
34 for the existing repository layout.
35
36 > Overlay maintainers who want the latest/greatest obviously can convert
37 > over also; one would hope their would be enough cleanup to make it
38 > worth their time.
39 >
40 > As for the nasty gentoo-x86 compatibility, basically, do the
41 > following:
42 >
43 > 1) maintain the existing cvs repo as is
44 > 2) iron out what cleanup/restructuring is desired. glep55 being
45 > jammed in here is a potential for example. Nail down the new repo
46 > format basically (with an eye for translating the cvs repo to it on
47 > the fly).
48 > 3) use an eclass index holding the checksums, w/ the cache entries
49 > referencing the index numbers rather (sorting the index by
50 > consumption, meaning the more ebuilds using it the lower the index):
51 > this brings the cache addition down to around 285KB (acceptable imo)
52 > while giving full flexibility in the checksums available for eclasses.
53 > This is assuming the current flat_list format is still in use in the
54 > new repo...
55
56 As previously discussed [2], having shared integrity data (as you
57 suggest) has implications in terms of reduced simplicity and robustness.
58
59 My intention is for the cache format to be both simple and robust.
60 It may require some extra space in order to achieve these goals, but
61 I think it's well worth it. When accessing a given cache entry, it's
62 very important that the package manager be able to reliably validate
63 it's integrity (given that the package manager has no control over
64 the implementation details of the cache generation infrastructure),
65 and I believe that the proposed DIGESTS data will solve this problem
66 in a simple and robust manner.
67
68 [1]
69 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_d92eddd796dcc7b9272cc8b8a5a9ca18.xml