From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] DIGESTS metadata variable for cache validation
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:01:23
1 On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:55:51PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:55:41AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > >> All that I can say right now is that I recall questions about it in
5 > >> the past from overlay maintainers (I don't have a list) and the
6 > >> funtoo project is the only one which I can name offhand.
7 > >>
8 > >> However, the ability to distribute cache via a vcs is only an
9 > >> ancillary feature which is made possible by the DIGESTS data. The
10 > >> DIGESTS data is useful regardless of the protocol that is used to
11 > >> distribute the cache, since it allows the cache to be properly
12 > >> validated for integrity. So, the real primary reason for introducing
13 > >> the DIGESTS data is to provide a proper solution for cases like bug
14 > >> #139134 [1] in which invalid metadata cache goes undetected.
15 > >
16 > > I'm sorry, but this proposal smells something awful. Because of the
17 > > mtime requirement on cache entries you're proposing jamming another
18 > > 1.4MB into the cache for validation purposes (which should be 4x that
19 > > since a full checksum really should be in there) while trying to
20 > > maintain compatibility.
21 >
22 > As I've said before [1], 10 hex digits gives 1.1e12 possible
23 > combinations and that's probably sufficient for the given application.
24
25 And as I said before, I don't agree with you on it (repeating it over
26 and over isn't going to convince the other side either).
27
28 The 1.4MB is more the concern then arguments over avalanche I might
29 add.
32 > > Frankly, forget compatibility- the current format could stand to die.
33 > > The repository format is an ever growing mess- leave it as is and
34 > > work on cutting over to something sane.
35 >
36 > Changing the repository layout is a pretty radical thing to do.
37 > You're welcome to start a new subject for that if you'd like but I'd
38 > prefer to keep the scope of this thread focussed on the cache format
39 > for the existing repository layout.
40
41 Vacuous arguement via focusing on the 'layout' part rather then the
42 repository whole I implied; you're stating that one should not
43 discuss changing the repository standard/spec while arguing that
44 repealing the requirement that cache mtime entries match ebuild
45 mtime (part of the repository spec) should be the point of discussion.
46
47 The daft thing about this is that w/ effectively atomic sync (if the
48 sync fails then mark the repo as screwed up till a sync completes),
49 the current cache format can *still* do validation- no clue if
50 paludis has it, but at least pkgcore and portage can handle this via
51 awareness of the eclass stacking.
52
53 So for git vcses bundling metadata (a bad idea anyways to be storing
54 generated content in the mainline vcs), your proposal allows them to
55 use a cache. For every other distribution mechanism that works fine,
56 they wind up paying the cost for that corner case. The 80 pays for
57 the 20 isn't the normal form of the 80/20 rule ;)
58
59 Note that proper PM implementations *still* have to set the cache
60 entries mtime for backwards compatibility w/ older PMs that don't
61 support this new unversioned change thus muddying the implementation
62 even further.
63
64 I reiterate, this belongs in a seperate repository format, along w/
65 the rest of the unversioned repository changes you've been pushing in
66 (profile package.mask breaking all non portage PMs is a perfect
67 example).
70 > > Overlay maintainers who want the latest/greatest obviously can convert
71 > > over also; one would hope their would be enough cleanup to make it
72 > > worth their time.
73 > >
74 > > As for the nasty gentoo-x86 compatibility, basically, do the
75 > > following:
76 > >
77 > > 1) maintain the existing cvs repo as is
78 > > 2) iron out what cleanup/restructuring is desired. glep55 being
79 > > jammed in here is a potential for example. Nail down the new repo
80 > > format basically (with an eye for translating the cvs repo to it on
81 > > the fly).
82 > > 3) use an eclass index holding the checksums, w/ the cache entries
83 > > referencing the index numbers rather (sorting the index by
84 > > consumption, meaning the more ebuilds using it the lower the index):
85 > > this brings the cache addition down to around 285KB (acceptable imo)
86 > > while giving full flexibility in the checksums available for eclasses.
87 > > This is assuming the current flat_list format is still in use in the
88 > > new repo...
89 >
90 > As previously discussed [2], having shared integrity data (as you
91 > suggest) has implications in terms of reduced simplicity and robustness.
92
93 The complexity arguement is a white elephant. Rsync is the sole
94 transport that has atomicity issues; the rest don't (when you check
95 out from vcs, you get an exact rev effectively). Rsync generation
96 ought to be preparing the new snapshot then swapping it in, and if I
97 recall correctly that's exactly what osprey does now (or whatever node
98 y'all are using for generating gentoo-x86 these days).
99
100 The point there is that there are specific steps taken preparing the
101 repo- those steps already ensure the snapshot/rev is complete prior to
102 being available so there isn't real potential of catching it mid
103 update. Via that existing machinery, a shared index is *no issue*-
104 the one spot it rears it's head is during a failed/partial sync (the
105 repo should not be using in such a state since stale cache is the
106 least concern at that point).
109 From where I'm sitting, the changes you've either slipped in, or want
110 to slip in to the repository format are completely ignoring the past
111 bad history of breakage doing such things, and ignoring why EAPI
112 exists these days.
113
114 The reason a new format is realistically needed here is that existing
115 PMS compliant implementations will wind up accessing the repo and
116 behaving as if everything is fine and dandy without knowing the rules
117 used to read no longer match the rules used to generate the repo.
118 This is a no go, same reason EAPI awareness had to sit for a long ass
119 time to ensure EAPI=1 would be properly masked by eapi aware PMs.
120
121 Either way for changes like this (or package.mask as a directory since
122 I'm still annoyed by that) the repo needs to be marked in some way, a
123 versioned format specifically, so that when stuff like this is added
124 the PM can handle it gracefully instead of doing the wrong thing.
125
126 ~brian