From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:08:15
1 Hi!
2
3 > > I will do it if I can get some kind of assurance from our developers
4 > >that the gentoo-ebuild and especially the gentoo-user mailing lists
5 > >will be moderated by at least some of the developers. Dan Armak can
6 > >handle a good amount of gentoo-ebuild, but I really need someone
7 > >who's willing to moderate gentoo-user. A moderator for gentoo-dev
8 > >would be nice too :)
9
10 What do you mean by moderate the list?
11 I think that all developers should listen to all three lists, perhaps
12 not everyone has to listen to -ebuild (would probably be enough with
13 one developer for each team).
14
15 > > Also, I'll be creating team mailing lists and the # Author: comment
16 > >in all new ebuilds will specify the team, i.e.: system@g.o,
17 > >infrastructure@g.o, etc. It's too hard to track the specifc
18 > >author anyway; we'll just track the team. It'll be up to the team to
19 > >keep their own internal organization for all the ebuilds that belong
20 > >to them. We'll probably change the # Author: comment to #
21 > >Maintainer: system@g.o, for example. This'll work for me.
22
23 This split is going to be needed in the future, but I don't see why it
24 needs to happend right now, this split can happend when it's needed.
25 I think that for now the -dev, -user and -ebuild will be enough.
26
27 > How does this combine with the ebuild categories? After all it makes
28 > sense that e.g. the desktop team is resposible for kde-* and
29 > gnome-*. If a developer from another team adds an ebuild to these
30 > categories, should his team be named as maintainer? Should he transfer
31 > maintanence to a desktop developer? What about developers who are part
32 > of more than one team?
33
34 We have to write down somewhere which teams will handle what
35 packages.
36
37 But the maintaining team shouldn't have anything todo with who's
38 creating the ebuild. It should be the team into which the package
39 falls. This also solves the question about a developer part of more
40 then one team.
41
42 After all it's the team that is responsible to make the ebuild working
43 before a release. I also think that (as stated by pm in another
44 thread) when a developer is creating an ebuild that goes into another
45 team he should put it into incoming for the correct team to include
46 into the CVS tree.
47
48 Regards,
49 Mikael Hallendal
52 Mikael Hallendal                micke@×××××××××××.se
53 CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
54 Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918