From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 10:41:11
1 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Do we routinely confirm that any site we list in SRC_URI has
5 >> permission to redistribute files? That seems like a slippery slope.
6 >
7 > We don't, and for a package that comes with a license (as the vast
8 > majority of packages does) it normally isn't necessary.
9
10 Why isn't this necessary? How do you know the person issuing the
11 license actually has the right to issue it?
14 > The package in question doesn't come with any license though, which
15 > means that only the copyright holder has the right to distribute it.
16 > So I believe that some extra care is justified, especially when the
17 > upstream location of the distfile has changed.
18
19 Why? We don't redistribute anything that is copyrighted.
20
21 Are you arguing that merely linking to the file is illegal? If so,
22 then you better get the list archives purged.
25 > We don't know this for sure unless we ask the author. So whoever is
26 > interested in keeping the package in the tree should sort these issues
27 > out.
30 Perhaps if we want to enforce a policy like this we should take the
31 time to actually write the policy down. As far as I can tell Gentoo
32 has no such policy currently.
35 Rich