From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 07:28:49
1 >>>>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 2:52 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>>>>> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Gordon Pettey wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Can these package.mask notes stop saying "no alternative found"
7 >>> when it's obvious five seconds of Google searching was not even
8 >>> performed to find an alternative?
9 >>> https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/shadowlords-dreamcatcher-and-demon-campaigns
10 >>> has live links, and the exe even matches the sha256sum.
11 >>
12 >> Do they have permission to redistribute the file, though? The
13 >> ebuild is mirror restricted and LICENSE says "all-rights-reserved".
14
15 > Do we routinely confirm that any site we list in SRC_URI has
16 > permission to redistribute files? That seems like a slippery slope.
17
18 We don't, and for a package that comes with a license (as the vast
19 majority of packages does) it normally isn't necessary.
20
21 The package in question doesn't come with any license though, which
22 means that only the copyright holder has the right to distribute it.
23 So I believe that some extra care is justified, especially when the
24 upstream location of the distfile has changed.
25
26 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/licenses/all-rights-reserved
27
28 > In any case, as far as I can tell this is probably one of the
29 > largest sites for hosting this sort of content and I can't imagine
30 > that it would have escaped the author's notice if they didn't want
31 > the files distributed there.
32
33 We don't know this for sure unless we ask the author. So whoever is
34 interested in keeping the package in the tree should sort these issues
35 out.
36
37 Ulrich