From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] login.defs; djbdns:dnscache; misc.
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:15:57
1 Some issues I ran across this week working with my rc5 revision 0
2 Gentoo install:
3
4 (1)
5 /etc/login.defs
6
7 Appears to have been appended with a copy of itself, or some such
8 at one point.
9
10 $ cat /etc/login.defs | sort | uniq -c >login.defs.counted
11
12 revealed that ALL variables were in duplicate with the exception of
13 'FAIL_DELAY 3'. Duplicates have been removed and 1/2 size file is
14 attached.
15
16 (2)
17 apropos
18
19 would have been nice if /usr/sbin/makewhatis was run,
20 during initial system setup...or not. 8)
21
22 (3)
23 manpaths
24 Known issues here? Lost my example.
25
26 (4)
27 /tmp
28 Known issue.
29 needs wold writable perms ... has drwxr-xr-x
30
31 (5)
32 djbdns: dnscache
33
34 I see there was a thread on djbdns on the list, but
35 this problem here didn't seem to be fleshed out, though it
36 may have been involved.
37
38 running /etc/rc.d/init.d/svc-dnscache setup
39
40 dnscache-conf was run with parameters that lacked prior initialization.
41 It failed but did not abort.
42
43 It complained about 'dnslog' so I added the account by hand
44 and reran the setup option. This time it completed without
45 complaint.
46
47 But, things were not working right.
48
49 The dnscache user wasn't set up either ... adding this user
50 immediately solved the malfunction.
51
52 I guess this should be handled during setup? diff which
53 checks for these users and adds them as needed is attached.
56 At your service,
57 Gontran

login.defs.new text/plain
svcdnscache.diff text/plain