From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 17:23:02
1 On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 May 2014 19:26:38 +0300
3 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have no plans in inserting my name to genkernel's ChangeLog,
6 >> and I've done my best to contact people (nobody cares)
7 >>
8 >> Only initramfs tool I care and can warmly recommend to anyone is
9 >> dracut.
10 >
11 > I do have such plans for my favorite initramfs tool which is genkernel.
14 While all this bickering is nice to read, what is really needed is:
15
16 1. Somebody needs to step up and actually fix genkernel.
17 2. Somebody needs to update the handbook to document how to use
18 dracut and a list of standard working kernel configs that go along
19 with it.
20
21 Getting into "the official tool is foo" and "foo doesn't work for bar"
22 really isn't terribly useful. Those who like foo should make it work,
23 and those who like the alternatives should help make them
24 better-supported.
25
26 Personally I like dracut, but I'm not terribly happy that the last
27 dracut upgrade on my PXE+nfs-root box now takes 90 seconds to run DHCP
28 with the latest upgrade. But it does look like it will support
29 mounting that nfs share over an IPv6 tunnel broker. Whatever - it is
30 the price of living on the edge, and I haven't gotten around to filing
31 a bug so it obviously isn't that bad... :)
32
33 Rich