From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:27:27
1 On 01/14/15 10:16, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:58:21 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Any specific comments? I can handle x86 but I'd appreciate specific
6 >> arch teams replying about more exotic arches.
7 > +1
8 >
9 > i like the idea, but with a list of useflags that would get converted
10 > this could "reach" more people i think
11
12 This sounds good to me too. Expansions to the base instruction set
13 architecture is something more pertinent to the intel family going back
14 to the pentium II days with mmx afaik and multiplying like rabbits every
15 since. There is neon for arm and I don't know of any for mips or ppc.
16
17 Would this approach clean up some of the masking? Eg. I hate having to
18 mask sse and friends in base/use.mask and then unmask them in
19 arch/amd64/use.mask. I'm not sure if there's a technique to make a use
20 expand flags relevant only for a particular profile.
23 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
24 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
25 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
26 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
27 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA