From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:47:36
1 On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:32 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > It's not magic. We've been handling packages that work on sparc64 but
3 > not sparc32 for years with a single keyword. Just because you (and,
4 > from the looks of things, most of the x86 and amd64 developers) don't
5 > know about some of portage's features doesn't mean they don't exist :)
6
7 This was kinda my point. Developers on sparc and mips are aware of
8 these issues. Developers on amd64 and x86 are not. Forcing the merging
9 of these KEYWORDS would destroy the QA that already is done on these
10 architectures, as most of our developer pool would need some serious
11 training to be able to do this. I know that *I* don't know how to do
12 this myself (yet), but I'm going to look into it.
13
14 Anyway, can we *please* quit hijacking this thread, as this isn't a "x86
15 vs. other arches" thread and rather a thread about profiles and their
16 USE flags. If you want to discuss x86's defficiencies, start your own
17 thread, please.
20 Chris Gianelloni
22 Games - Developer
23 Gentoo Linux