From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:37:29
1 On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:36:52 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 | No offense intended, but as a user, I /like/ to actually know that a
3 | package keyworded for my arch (segment) is known to work on it in full
4 | (IMHO) uncrippled amd64 form, not in some (IMHO) "crippled 32-bit
5 | special case". If we went the other way and removed x86 keywording
6 | from everything that failed in 64-bit mode, including all 32-bit only
7 | codecs and the like, x86(32) arch(segment) folks would rightly be
8 | wailing in protest.
9 |
10 | Again, no offense intended, but unless you have some magic way to fix
11 | that situation, perhaps the MIPS devs and users are willing to live
12 | with that problem on MIPS, but neither x86(32) users nor amd64 users
13 | (and by this I'm including devs, which are obviously users as well)
14 | are interested in being saddled with an unnecessary problem, when the
15 | current situation avoids it, or I expect the amd64 keyword would have
16 | never been added.
17
18 It's not magic. We've been handling packages that work on sparc64 but
19 not sparc32 for years with a single keyword. Just because you (and,
20 from the looks of things, most of the x86 and amd64 developers) don't
21 know about some of portage's features doesn't mean they don't exist :)
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm