From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:46:12
1 Stephen Bennett posted <20050830214002.1ce72cc2@localhost>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:40:02 +0100:
3
4 > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:15:18 +0000
5 > Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >> I belive the worse QA is in x86 and not in AMD64 and MIPS. Between
8 >> AMD64 and x86 there's a lot of differences i.e. many packages in the
9 >> tree that needs to be patched to work on AMD64 so we cannot cover
10 >> AMD64/x86 under the same keyword.
11 >
12 > There are packages that will work on (for example) little-endian mips
13 > but won't work or will need patching to work on big-endian, yet we
14 > still cover both of those with one keyword.
15
16 OK, I've seen this mentioned several times, but never with an explanation
17 of how to do it, without either causing issues for the one segment, or
18 holding up keywording perfectly working packages on another segment.
19 Perhaps it can be done, please explain how if so.
20
21 No offense intended, but as a user, I /like/ to actually know that a
22 package keyworded for my arch (segment) is known to work on it in full
23 (IMHO) uncrippled amd64 form, not in some (IMHO) "crippled 32-bit special
24 case". If we went the other way and removed x86 keywording from everything
25 that failed in 64-bit mode, including all 32-bit only codecs and the like,
26 x86(32) arch(segment) folks would rightly be wailing in protest.
27
28 Again, no offense intended, but unless you have some magic way to fix that
29 situation, perhaps the MIPS devs and users are willing to live with that
30 problem on MIPS, but neither x86(32) users nor amd64 users (and by this
31 I'm including devs, which are obviously users as well) are interested in
32 being saddled with an unnecessary problem, when the current situation
33 avoids it, or I expect the amd64 keyword would have never been added.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
39 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list