From: "John R. Graham" <n3440d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:13:43
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2 > No it's not. bash does not recommend anything of the sort. It just
3 > states what files are optionally used during initialisation.
4 >
5 > What I'm driving at is that you're making claims that things are broken
6 > or recommended when in fact they are not. Try reading some RFC's and
7 > then you'll have a clearer (hopefully!!) understanding of the words MUST
8 > and SHOULD. Also you'll understand that if those words are not present
9 > then it's entirely optional. I fully recommend reading RFC 2131 [1] as
10 > I'm very well acquainted with it and it also provides lots of good
11 > examples of these words :)
12 >
13 > Thanks
14 >
15 > Roy
16 >
17 > [1] http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2131
18 >
19 > PS - This does not necessarily mean I think /etc/skel files in /root is
20 > a bad thing, I just think you're going completely the wrong way about
21 > getting this done.
24 Roy, thanks for the advice. Obviously I misstated some things.
25 However, man pages and info docs are written in more colloquial language
26 than formal specifications. Anyway, I promise not to beat the dead horse.
27
28 - John
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list