From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:47:07
1 On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 21:22 -0400, John R. Graham wrote:
2 >
3 > Roy Marples wrote:
4 > > Looking over the bash man page, I cannot see the word recommended
5 > > anywhere near .bash_profile. Could you clarify where you think bash
6 > > recommends this?
7 > >
8 > Why, sure. It's my interpretation, but a reasonable one, I think.
9
10 No it's not. bash does not recommend anything of the sort. It just
11 states what files are optionally used during initialisation.
12
13 What I'm driving at is that you're making claims that things are broken
14 or recommended when in fact they are not. Try reading some RFC's and
15 then you'll have a clearer (hopefully!!) understanding of the words MUST
16 and SHOULD. Also you'll understand that if those words are not present
17 then it's entirely optional. I fully recommend reading RFC 2131 [1] as
18 I'm very well acquainted with it and it also provides lots of good
19 examples of these words :)
20
21 Thanks
22
23 Roy
24
25 [1] http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2131
26
27 PS - This does not necessarily mean I think /etc/skel files in /root is
28 a bad thing, I just think you're going completely the wrong way about
29 getting this done.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list