From: "John R. Graham" <n3440d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:33:39
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Looking over the bash man page, I cannot see the word recommended
3 > anywhere near .bash_profile. Could you clarify where you think bash
4 > recommends this?
5 >
6 > Thanks
7 >
8 > Roy
9 >
10 Why, sure. It's my interpretation, but a reasonable one, I think. It
11 recommends it in its implementation, by creating .bash_profile in
12 /etc/skel with content that implements a particular behavior. The
13 documentation also states, "So, typically, your `~/.bash_profile'
14 contains the line `if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then . ~/.bashrc; fi' after (or
15 before) any login-specific initializations." And, lo, the .bash_profile
16 file in /etc/skel has a functionally identical line in it. Doubly
17 recommended, in a manner of speaking.
18
19 - John
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list