From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag: examples
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:31:46
1 On Sunday 22 August 2004 21:12, Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.- wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
3 > > as there are no strong objections (yet) to this proposal, i will add
4 > > "examples - Adds examples (code, sample documents... NOT sample
5 > > configurations)" to use.desc tomorrow if no one complains.
6 >
7 > I can see I wasn't clear enough before.
8 >
9 > I object. The use of the "doc" use flag should cover the installation
10 > of the example code in question. There is no need to add yet another
11 > global use flag for this.
12
13 I disagree with you. Documentation is very different from example
14 applications and the like. The java herd is not the only group having
15 problems with this. Look for example at the formidable example collection
16 provided in qt. In most cases it is not necessary at all to compile them
17 all (take quite some time), while developer docs might be interesting.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer