From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:01:32
1 ons 2001-12-26 klockan 03.44 skrev Daniel Robbins:
2
3 > Hallski, how many times in the past have I said "I'm giving Hallski the final
4 > decision on this one"? I hope you'll agree it's been quite a few times. In
5 > these times, the final decision has been given to you because I trust your
6 > expertise. You have been given authority over the desktop aspects of Gentoo
7 > Linux, but branching CVS is something that affects more than just Desktop
8 > developers. You should not be surprised that, in this particular case, I
9 > exerted my authority and made this decision. It's certainly within my "job
10 > description" to make this decision. And not to be rude, but whether or not to
11 > branch CVS is really not your decision.
12
13 I've never claimed branching the CVS is my decision. I posted is as a
14 solution to this problem. Wether putting beta KDE packages in Portage
15 should be my descision (if I've not been incorrectly informed about my
16 role in Gentoo). Since in the end I'm responsible for desktop issues,
17 even though Dan is currently responsible for KDE stuff.
18
19 > > Also, the "rm -rf /" example misses the point. The point is that if we have
20 > > lots of beta-stuff in Portage (available to the users) we'll end up spending
21 > > loads of hours supporting it (no matter how many signs of "Unsupported" we
22 > > write).
23 >
24 > The "rm -rf /" example is exactly the point. Inform the user, and let *them*
25 > make an *educated* decision. I trust the Gentoo Linux user base; we're not
26 > designing a distribution for monkeys here. Taking control away from users is
27 > really not part of the Gentoo Linux philosophy.
28
29 I'm all for users being able to try out new stuff. And what I meant
30 about it's not the point is that if the user does "rm -rf /" he won't
31 come to us for support. If a user (after installing KDE3) notices bad
32 behaviour in various places it might take a very long time tracking it
33 back to KDE (thus spending lots of developer time).
34
35 Also, even _if_ users read the warnings and is willing to take the risk
36 it will end up taking lots of our time.
37
38 If we on the other hand say that we don't have much user support and
39 leave it at that it's all fine by me. But then this should be made
40 clear.
41
42 So, I'd say this particular issue is in the end my descission, wether or
43 not to branch the entire portage is _not_ my descision (alone), but I'd
44 say I should have a say in the matter. But that is out of the scoop for
45 this discussion.
46
47 Regards,
48 Mikael Hallendal
52 Mikael Hallendal
53 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
54 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden