From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:33:30
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:01:25AM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2
3 > I've never claimed branching the CVS is my decision. I posted is as a
4 > solution to this problem. Wether putting beta KDE packages in Portage
5 > should be my descision (if I've not been incorrectly informed about my
6 > role in Gentoo). Since in the end I'm responsible for desktop issues,
7 > even though Dan is currently responsible for KDE stuff.
8
9 Beyond your authority as the Desktop Team Leader, there is an underlying need
10 for users *and* developers to be able to freely exchange ebuilds and work on
11 them together. Both branching CVS and keeping them off CVS prevent this from
12 happening. If you don't want KDE 3 beta on CVS, period, (because it's beta
13 software and buggy) then I support your decision because it makes sense to not
14 offer broken software to end users. But at the same time, this needs to be
15 balanced with the fact that the KDE 3 beta ebuilds will end up being the base
16 for the KDE 3 final ebuilds.
17
18 If you feel that the package.mask is insufficient, you can modify the
19 default-1.0_rc6/packages file directly. It does the same thing but is less
20 likely to be tampered with. Add:
21
22 <=kde-base/kde-2.3
23
24 etc. Then I can create a "dev-1.0_rc6" profile for danarmak and verwilst to
25 use that don't have these lines included. We really have the functionality
26 built-in to Portage to handle this.
27
28 > So, I'd say this particular issue is in the end my descission, wether or
29 > not to branch the entire portage is _not_ my descision (alone), but I'd
30 > say I should have a say in the matter. But that is out of the scoop for
31 > this discussion.
32
33 Just remember that we have to somehow work towards a *stable* KDE3 release. I
34 think having a separate system profile for KDE3 development might be a good
35 compromise.
36
37 Best Regards,
40 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>