From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:10:18
1 ons 2001-12-26 klockan 04.33 skrev Daniel Robbins:
2
3 > Just remember that we have to somehow work towards a *stable* KDE3 release. I
4 > think having a separate system profile for KDE3 development might be a good
5 > compromise.
6
7 Ok, looks like you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about beta
8 _ebuilds_. I'm talking about beta packages (like for instance, GNOME
9 produces lots of beta releases of GNOME2. These packages are _only_
10 supposed for GNOME developers). From my discussion with Dan about this
11 issue, the KDE3 betas we are discussing here are for KDE developers.
12
13 Beta ebuilds are a totally different issue. In that case I think masking
14 them is the correct way to go. But if we start packaging stuff that we
15 know are very unstable packages we'll end up spending lots of time on
16 doing:
17
18 *) Patches for the installations (since it's not finished) which is
19 obsoleted when the stable version comes out.
20
21 *) Debugging KDE/foobar source which has nothing to do with Gentoo.
22
23 *) Having to spend lots of time trying to figure out if it's our ebuilds
24 or the released tarballs that is flaky.
25
26 And trust me, we will end up doing all of the above, no matter how many
27 warning signs we put up. Because most people takes a look on them and
28 thinks it's ok. Then they will mail the mailinglist or discuss on IRC
29 never the less and the developers will end up spending lots of time on
30 these things that is none of Gentoo's concern.
31
32 So what I'm saying is that _we_ shouldn't work towards a stable KDE3
33 release, the KDE release team should. Once it's out we should work
34 towards stable packages of that software.
35
36 This is why I suggested to Dan that if he wants to play around with KDE3
37 he should make ebuilds and distribute them from himself rather than in
38 the portage. That way it will be clear that users wanting to discuss
39 KDE3/those ebuilds should turn to him rather than any of the other
40 developers.
41
42 This is the way I plan to distribute ebuilds for Gtk+/GNOME pre-2.0.
43
44 Regards,
45 Mikael Hallendal
49 Mikael Hallendal
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
51 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden