From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:15:07
1 On 06/30/2014 11:27, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:37:11 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> You're basically asking for the practice of hard-masks for testing to
6 >> be banned.
7 >
8 > My original point in the other thread was that "masked for testing" is
9 > not a valid reason. A reference to an outstanding issue, bug report,
10 > discussion or other resources would help users determine whether it's
11 > safe for them to unmask an ebuild locally. "Masked for testing" offers
12 > no guidance at all and is nothing more than a lazy substitute for real
13 > content.
14
15 I would agree to a point. In the case of some toolchain related packages,
16 like gcc and binutils, "masked for testing" keeps potentially dangerous
17 system updates from propagating out to a majority of users. However, those
18 users and developers who are quite avid about being on the forefront of the
19 latest and greatest already know how to unmask such packages and test them
20 out. So a mask on "=sys-devel/gcc-4.9.0" with the reason of "Masked for
21 testing" makes perfect sense, especially since this version of gcc enables
22 strong stack-protection.
25 Joshua Kinard
26 Gentoo/MIPS
27 kumba@g.o
28 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
29
30 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
31 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
32
33 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic