From: Pavel Kazakov <nullishzero@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:10:21
1 Hi Benda,
2
3 Great idea! I would definitely be interested in joining.
4
5 Regards,
6 Pavel
7
8 On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM, heroxbd <heroxbd@g.o> wrote:
9 > Dear Fellows,
10 >
11 > Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
12 > Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
13 > in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
14 > protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
15 >
16 > The idea is cool, but not new. The idea is general to all android
17 > devices, while Canonical is binding the concept with its own new device.
18 >
19 > The project is developed underground by Canonical, so far nothing, not
20 > to say repository, is available except advertisements and the call for
21 > people to donate.
22 >
23 > As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
24 > Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
25 > devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
26 > difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
27 > of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
28 >
29 > I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
30 > community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
31 > develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
32 >
33 > I would like to kick out a sub-project of Gentoo targeting smartphone
34 > and tablets. It would be nice to find out a solution based on Gentoo for
35 > desktop/smartphone hybrid *before* Canonical's release.
36 >
37 > Comments welcome.
38 >
39 > Cheers,