From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Glep 55 use case: moving slot to file name
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:57:00
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2
3 > Icedtea has two release tracks. One for the 1.7 OpenJDK code base and
4 > one for the 1.6 code base. They have independent version numbering so
5 > they can have collisions. By moving the slot to the file name we could
6 > have icedtea-1.2:1.6.ebuildN and icedtea-1.2:1.7.ebuildN. This
7 > particular situation can be worked around of course but it might also be
8 > better to keep the slot in the file name any way because I often find
9 > myself needing to know the slot of an ebuild (adjutrix -k of course
10 > already does this for me quite nicely).
11 >
12 Debian-style epochs are a _much_ cleaner solution:
13 http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version
14
15 (eix does quite nicely at displaying slots, too.)