From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:40:02
1 On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 07:31:14PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > > This behaviour is not really that traddditional. most *nix's I've
5 > > seen have the sbin directories in the path for all users.
6 >
7 > Traditional Unices didn't have /sbin at all. Instead, they used /etc
8 > for such binaries. :)
9
10 From what I've read, the traditional difference between bin and sbin was
11 that sbin means static-bin and everything stored in there was to be able
12 to come up without libraries.
13
14 As mgorny was talking about earlier, a good chunk of what is in sbin
15 *can* be run by normal users.
16
17 William