From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make udev optional in net-wireless/bluez?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 05:45:15
1 On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 23:22 -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 03/08/2014 9:55 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 21:23 -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
4 > >> So I want to try and play around with a particular network domination tool
5 > >> on my home network, Omphalos. However, its current configure script has a
6 > >> hard dependency on bluetooth.h, part of the net-wireless/bluez package.
7 > >>
8 > >> Currently, net-wireless/bluez has a harddep on virtual/udev, which works
9 > >> great if you use either udev or eudev. I'm using busybox's mdev instead, so
10 > >> the logic of the bluez ebuild needs some changes:
11 > > [...]
12 > >> Thoughts on this?
13 > >
14 > > Does mdev have any API which is equivalent to libudev's hwdb? See
15 > > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/libudev/libudev-udev-hwdb.html
16 > >
17 > > If yes, then optimal solution would be to patch bluez to allow using
18 > > mdev's hwdb support, and get the patch upstreamed :)
19 >
20 > It's actually not a matter of the hwdb support, it's just the fact that
21 > bluez currently has a harddep on a specific device manager, either udev or
22 > eudev.
23
24 Bluez does not require an abstract device manager. It requires the
25 libudev library. Or rather, it requires some kind of library which
26 provides the following API:
27
28 1. querying hwdb (given a kernel modalias for a device, retrieve
29 corresponding oui, vendor, and model data); and
30 2. querying the device tree (manually traversing /sys is of course
31 possible, but not very easy to do correctly, so bluez developers are
32 relying on libudev).