From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make udev optional in net-wireless/bluez?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:22:17
1 On 03/08/2014 9:55 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 21:23 -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >> So I want to try and play around with a particular network domination tool
4 >> on my home network, Omphalos. However, its current configure script has a
5 >> hard dependency on bluetooth.h, part of the net-wireless/bluez package.
6 >>
7 >> Currently, net-wireless/bluez has a harddep on virtual/udev, which works
8 >> great if you use either udev or eudev. I'm using busybox's mdev instead, so
9 >> the logic of the bluez ebuild needs some changes:
10 > [...]
11 >> Thoughts on this?
12 >
13 > Does mdev have any API which is equivalent to libudev's hwdb? See
14 > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/libudev/libudev-udev-hwdb.html
15 >
16 > If yes, then optimal solution would be to patch bluez to allow using
17 > mdev's hwdb support, and get the patch upstreamed :)
18
19 It's actually not a matter of the hwdb support, it's just the fact that
20 bluez currently has a harddep on a specific device manager, either udev or
21 eudev. By adding the USE conditionals, we can depend on virtual/udev if USE
22 contains 'udev' (and pass --enable-udev to configure), else, we depend on
23 virtual/dev-manager (and --disable-udev) for any *other* device manager out
24 there, which covers mdev in my specific case.
25
26 Granted, I got hung up trying to build Omphalos anyways, as my current
27 running kernel lacks wifi support, and that doesn't appear to be optional.
28 Have to hack around that or reboot w/ wifi just to build it.
31 Joshua Kinard
32 Gentoo/MIPS
33 kumba@g.o
34 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
35
36 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
37 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
38
39 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic