From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:57:09
1 On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 13:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 June 2004 08:33 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > I think this is pretty much the point. We have no problem with adding
4 > > xbox-specific ebuilds to portage,
5 >
6 > actually, there were a lot of people originally against that :)
7
8 Right, but it had been decided that we thought it was OK. After all, we
9 did bring Shallax on as a developer specifically for that purpose.
10
11 > > but the release of an "official" xbox
12 > > "port" could hold Gentoo liable in breaking the DMCA.
13 >
14 > which is why we have a few steps to this process ... first get the ebuilds in
15 > (which, by now, i think we've settled everyone's perceived 'problems') ...
16
17 No problems here...
18
19 > then we take it to the next level with documentation/announcement/listing on
20 > the site/livecds ... this part we still seem to be working out
21
22 This part is what I am worried about. Would we be breaking the law with
23 the release?
24
25 I see no problem with supplying everything needed to add the necessary
26 support to Gentoo for the Xbox, just with posting documentation that
27 would be instructions on how to defeat Microsoft's access controls. The
28 LiveCD itself would not even be in violation, provided it didn't have
29 the documentation on it. ;]
30
31 Perhaps if we had a section in the documentation along the lines of:
32
33 "Due to the DMCA, we are unable to describe exactly how to get the boot
34 loader onto the system. You can find this information on the xbox-linux
35 site at xbox-linux.org"
38 Anyway... You get the idea.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
43 Gentoo Linux
44
45 Is your power animal a penguin?