From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:41:42
1 On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:40:19 -0400
3 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> But... if I unmask it, -everyone- using ~arch will install it and
6 >> it'll break all the systems that it doesn't work on, which -could- be
7 >> quite a lot at this point. :D
8 >
9 > Which is great, because then you have an actual test result, whereas
10 > before you had nothing but a stupid mask.
11 >
12 > And lots of people are suddenly very much interested in getting any and
13 > all bugs fixed in the new ebuild, whereas before you only had the stupid
14 > mask.
15
16 This subjects a lot of users to unnecessary inconvenience.
17
18 Testing is a necessary inconvenience. Anybody who uses ~arch should
19 be prepared for things to sometimes break. However, foisting
20 completely alpha stuff on users that the maintainer simply hasn't
21 gotten a chance to test yet seems excessive.
22
23 I'm perfectly fine with the suggestion of requiring a bug reference
24 when masking for testing. I think that adds value. I just don't
25 think that giving the maintainers only the options of introducing
26 untested packages directly to ~arch or not putting them in the tree at
27 all is an unnecessary dichotomy. Why tie our own hands?
28
29 Again, by all means lets require bug references and consider a masks
30 in the absence of activity a QA issue. I'm less concerned with the
31 actual duration and more with the level of activity. If it takes six
32 months of hard work to get something into the tree, that isn't a
33 problem, but six months of just rusting is a separate matter.
34
35 Rich