From: Eldad Zack <eldad@××××××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:40:36
1 > > Why more metadata? Can't we just run a ldd check on the binaries,
2 > > check that the relevant libraries are present, if not do a lookup in a
3 > > (to-be-created) list of library<->package mappings and add the
4 > > relevant packages as PDEPEND? (or yell at the user to provide that
5 > > library ;)
6 > Because we don't want to download the complete package, unpack, do
7 > magic on ELF binaries and .so files, then determine "oh, this won't
8 > work" .. It would make it a veeery slow process.
9
10 Well, at least as a sanity check, this would prevent breaking a system,
11 in a situation where the libraries required are not present on the
12 system.
16 Eldad
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list