From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:48:11
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:20:58 +0100
3 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Or should binaries have more metadata in them, perhaps a specific
7 > > requirement for libraries? (sheesh, then its down to RPM again.
8 > > that's bad. )
13 > Why more metadata? Can't we just run a ldd check on the binaries,
14 > check that the relevant libraries are present, if not do a lookup in a
15 > (to-be-created) list of library<->package mappings and add the
16 > relevant packages as PDEPEND? (or yell at the user to provide that
17 > library ;)
20 Because we don't want to download the complete package, unpack, do
21 magic on ELF binaries and .so files, then determine "oh, this won't
22 work" .. It would make it a veeery slow process.
25 and library<->package binary base is a bad solution. Conflicts (we have
26 them) and other nagging things like USE flags have a role here
27
28 Remember, some library dependencies are due to USE flag settings. we
29 can't accomodate for all possible combinations.. Its not feasible.
30
31 //Spider
34 begin .signature
35 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
37 end