From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:24:11
1 X-Mailer: Sylpheed version 0.9.8claws (GTK+ 1.2.10; i686-pc-linux-gnu)
2 Mime-Version: 1.0
3 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
4 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
5
6 On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:20:42 +0100
7 Spider <spider@g.o> wrote:
8
9 > So my question was for the generic case of things like this, Can the
10 > binaries be made more reliable?
11 >
12 > Perhaps this sort of thing be worked around in portage-code? ( wrap a
13 > consistency check of linking before installing? demand that a system
14 > is"updated" ? )
15 >
16 > Or should binaries have more metadata in them, perhaps a specific
17 > requirement for libraries? (sheesh, then its down to RPM again. that's
18 > bad. )
19
20 Why more metadata? Can't we just run a ldd check on the binaries, check
21 that the relevant libraries are present, if not do a lookup in a
22 (to-be-created) list of library<->package mappings and add the relevant
23 packages as PDEPEND? (or yell at the user to provide that library ;)
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list