From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:23:24
1 2009-09-20 16:53:37 Jesús Guerrero napisał(a):
2 > On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:41:32 +0200, Dawid Węgliński <cla@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On Sunday 20 of September 2009 00:32:28 Dale wrote:
5 > >> >
6 > >> > ~arch is for testing ebuilds, not the upstream package
7 > >>
8 > >> So it would be OK to mark something "stable" even tho portage itself
9 > >> doesn't work with it? Sorry, this makes no sense to me. I run stable
10 > >> for the most part and having a package that portage depends on that is
11 > >> not stable just sounds a little like putting the cart before the horse.
12 > >>
13 > >> See some of the other replies as to why this is a not so good idea.
14 > >>
15 > >> Dale
16 > >>
17 > >> :-) :-)
18 > >
19 > > You mix it up. Portage works with python 3.1. If an user switches to
20 > > python
21 > > 3.1 as the main interpreter, it's possible that his own scripts won't
22 > > work.
23 >
24 > Yes?
25 >
26 > # eselect python set 2
27 > # emerge -s foo
28 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 41
29 > except PermissionDenied, e:
30 > ^
31 > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
34 > Ummm, yes, it works *beautifully*, you see. Nothing else to add.
35
36 I have fixed it today :) .
37 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage?rev=14289&view=rev
38
39 > > Marking it stable sometine in november give's some time to ebuilds
40 > > maintainers to fix their python based apps just like it's done with gcc
41 > > stabilization.
42 >
43 > That's not the usual case. In Gentoo we have a serious policy of not
44 > marking as stable things until it has passed one month without any serious
45 > bug report about it.
46
47 There wasn't any serious bug report about Python 3.1.
48 IIRC the only problem was a (already fixed) build failure caused by non-UTF-8
49 characters in header of Berkeley DB.
50 Stabilization of Python 3.1.1-r1 is planned over 1 month after its addition to
51 the tree and about 3 months after addition of 3.1 slot to the tree.
54 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis