From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:53:44
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:41:32 +0200, Dawid Węgliński <cla@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Sunday 20 of September 2009 00:32:28 Dale wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > ~arch is for testing ebuilds, not the upstream package
6 >>
7 >> So it would be OK to mark something "stable" even tho portage itself
8 >> doesn't work with it? Sorry, this makes no sense to me. I run stable
9 >> for the most part and having a package that portage depends on that is
10 >> not stable just sounds a little like putting the cart before the horse.
11 >>
12 >> See some of the other replies as to why this is a not so good idea.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >>
16 >> :-) :-)
17 >
18 > You mix it up. Portage works with python 3.1. If an user switches to
19 > python
20 > 3.1 as the main interpreter, it's possible that his own scripts won't
21 > work.
22
23 Yes?
24
25 # eselect python set 2
26 # emerge -s foo
27 File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 41
28 except PermissionDenied, e:
29 ^
30 SyntaxError: invalid syntax
33 Ummm, yes, it works *beautifully*, you see. Nothing else to add.
34
35 > Marking it stable sometine in november give's some time to ebuilds
36 > maintainers to fix their python based apps just like it's done with gcc
37 > stabilization.
38
39 That's not the usual case. In Gentoo we have a serious policy of not
40 marking as stable things until it has passed one month without any serious
41 bug report about it. And you are proposing to break this rule for a core
42 piece of the OS, right, wonderful.
43
44 Instead I say, first fix the stuff, and then we can start planning the
45 switch to 3.1
48 Jesús Guerrero