From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:19:25
1 On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 21:51 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 > One thing that people might want to remember, if Gentoo ever changes
4 > into a "real, we take your money for support" type of distro, a lot of
5 > the employers of the us developers might reconsider allowing them to
6 > participate. Which would pretty much suck...
7
8 Oh, I'd never want to see Gentoo become like that! But that doesn't mean
9 we can attempt to make a sub-project to make things at least better for
10 the enterprise folks. Whether that be creating tools to help management
11 multiple Gentoo machines, or dealing with a more 'stable' branch. I'm
12 not saying we'll ever achieve a level of where RHEL is, but we can at
13 least make it more manageable for folks. I know that won't help
14 companies that require a service agreement since we as Gentoo will never
15 be able to do that.
16
17 I get the sense that when people hear 'enterprise' they think we want to
18 take Gentoo to becoming a corporate monster like RH. I pray and hope
19 that never happens. All I'd like to see is a sub-project devoted to
20 Gentoo in the enterprise. It'd sit in a similar role as Hardened Gentoo
21 does providing tools, etc for folks in the enterprise.
22
23 Let the people who want to use Gentoo as a 'hobbist' distro use it like
24 that, and let the people that want to use it in the enterprise use it as
25 that.
26
27 Btw, I'm hoping to get this said sub-project going once I get settled in
28 with my move and new job. At least get some organization sorted with it.
31 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
32 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
33
34 ---
35 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
36 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
37
38 ramereth/irc.freenode.net