From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:14:10
1 On 29.10.2010 15.02, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 >> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
5 >> IUSE
6 >
7 >> -apache2
8 >> -ldap
9 >
10 >> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
11 >
12 > Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
13 > server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
14 > If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
15 > apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
16 > preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
17 > don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
18 > about this.
21 And enabling a use flag should be question of is it wanted when a
22 package actually support those flags. On a server when you are
23 installing a package with a apache use flag it's certainly possible to
24 you would like to have it enabled more often than not.
25
26 Regards,
27 Petteri