From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:46:35
1 Am 29.10.2010 14:13, schrieb Petteri Räty:
2 > On 29.10.2010 15.02, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 >>> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
6 >>> IUSE
7 >>
8 >>> -apache2
9 >>> -ldap
10 >>
11 >>> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
12 >>
13 >> Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
14 >> server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
15 >> If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
16 >> apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
17 >> preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
18 >> don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
19 >> about this.
22 > And enabling a use flag should be question of is it wanted when a
23 > package actually support those flags. On a server when you are
24 > installing a package with a apache use flag it's certainly possible to
25 > you would like to have it enabled more often than not.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 > Petteri
32 Which raises the question, if those people, who want to install a minimal server will mostly use
33 apache or something different. And especially for minimal setups, i dont think that apache will be
34 the first choice, so i agree with the removal of those USE flags from default IUSE.
35 The profile is intended to have a minimal set of flags, i would call apache an additional optional
36 flag, not a default option for minimal server setups.
39 Thomas Sachau
40
41 Gentoo Linux Developer