From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:23:36
1 On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
2 > Am 29.10.2010 14:13, schrieb Petteri Räty:
3 >> On 29.10.2010 15.02, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>>> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
7 >>>> IUSE
8 >>>
9 >>>> -apache2
10 >>>> -ldap
11 >>>
12 >>>> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
13 >>>
14 >>> Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
15 >>> server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
16 >>> If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
17 >>> apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
18 >>> preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
19 >>> don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
20 >>> about this.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> And enabling a use flag should be question of is it wanted when a
24 >> package actually support those flags. On a server when you are
25 >> installing a package with a apache use flag it's certainly possible to
26 >> you would like to have it enabled more often than not.
27 >>
28 >> Regards,
29 >> Petteri
33 > Which raises the question, if those people, who want to install a minimal server will mostly use
34 > apache or something different. And especially for minimal setups, i dont think that apache will be
35 > the first choice, so i agree with the removal of those USE flags from default IUSE.
36 > The profile is intended to have a minimal set of flags, i would call apache an additional optional
37 > flag, not a default option for minimal server setups.
40 Totally agreed!
41
42 Best regards.
45 Rafael Goncalves Martins