From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:59:21
1 On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Rafael Goncalves Martins
2 <rafaelmartins@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Am 29.10.2010 14:13, schrieb Petteri Räty:
5 >>> On 29.10.2010 15.02, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
9 >>>>> IUSE
10 >>>>
11 >>>>> -apache2
12 >>>>> -ldap
13 >>>>
14 >>>>> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
17 >>>> server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
18 >>>> If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
19 >>>> apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
20 >>>> preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
21 >>>> don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
22 >>>> about this.
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> And enabling a use flag should be question of is it wanted when a
26 >>> package actually support those flags. On a server when you are
27 >>> installing a package with a apache use flag it's certainly possible to
28 >>> you would like to have it enabled more often than not.
29 >>>
30 >>> Regards,
31 >>> Petteri
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>
35 >> Which raises the question, if those people, who want to install a minimal server will mostly use
36 >> apache or something different. And especially for minimal setups, i dont think that apache will be
37 >> the first choice, so i agree with the removal of those USE flags from default IUSE.
38 >> The profile is intended to have a minimal set of flags, i would call apache an additional optional
39 >> flag, not a default option for minimal server setups.
42 > Totally agreed!
43 >
44 > Best regards.
45 >
46 > --
47 > Rafael Goncalves Martins
48 > Gentoo Linux developer
49 > http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
53 I use the server profile and I would also like a minimal set of use flags.
54 I don't think you need to force sysadmins, that know what they want,
55 to have those flags.
56
57 Regards,
58 Kfir