From: fede2@fuerzag.ulatina.ac.cr (Alvaro Figueroa Cabezas)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chroot USE flag?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:10:02
1 Without having read a lot of systrace... I'm gonna risk and answer.
2
3 On Jul 18 07:43, Toby Dickenson wrote:
4
5 > I have recently adopted systrace as a "better chroot". I find it is easier to
6 > set up a new service under systrace than both chroot and selinux. Unlike
7 > chroot, it is easy to disable systrace briefly if you suspect the security
8 > hardening may be causing a problem.
9
10 I found systrace and chroot as tools for diferent porpuses, not that one
11 can replace the other. By creating a chroot you are preemtively cutting
12 down the amount of damage a user can do if it passes down the security
13 of the application. I still need to break out of the chroot.
14
15 People has the idea that chroots are imposible to break out of. I know
16 that some of the guys in my LUG have succesfully (kinda like) gotten of
17 of it by inserting into the broken application, enough code to create a
18 device (as in mknod) and to mount that device inside the chroot.
19
20 By using capabilities (go out and fetch a 2.6 kernel!), the whole
21 concept of an all migthy root is obsoleted. You create a user with has
22 certain capabilities to do things, and that is all.
23
24 But hey, lets keep the discussion out of the thread on the dev mailing
25 list. I hope that this small enlightenment/clarification won't upset
26 anyone.
29 Alvaro Figueroa
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list