From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removing .la files...
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:08:13
1 David Leverton a écrit :
2
3 > Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.
4
5 I'd be in favor of having a _default_ configuration for Gentoo where
6 static binaries are never built except for some key packages (mainly for
7 rescue situations).
8
9 That way, in a dynamic-lib only system, libtool will expand -l<name> to
10 <name>.so. Simple and easy.
11
12 As Diego and others have been on a crusade to make sure that system libs
13 are used instead of bundled libs, static libs should also be outcast.
14
15 > Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
16 > library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if
17 > the library is missing, for example)?
18
19 Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
20 or libpng.
21
22 *None* of the binary distros out there ship .la files by default. Those
23 come with -devel packages. Proof that they are (almost) never needed.
24
25 And if an application chooses to dlopen() gtk+ or libpng, the ELF
26 headers contain all the dependencies, so the actual content of the .la
27 file is also useless in that case.
28
29 Cheers :)
30